Search site

Add to Google

Send a comment back

If you are not a registered user, your comment will be moderated and may be deleted subsequently by the author if it is deemed to contain inappropriate materials. All embedded URLs will automatically be turned into anchors, so there is no need to wrap them in HTML tags

by:Guest User
Your Name:
Your URL/Blog
(to link back to your site):

Followed your instructions but after successful repair, don't believe it is necessary to unsolder any wires.  The LCD screen is clasped in a bracket that holds the LCD backlight screen.  The LCD screen can be carefully pried out of this bracket without unsoldering any wires.  The two screws at the top holding the bracket to the camera body do need to be removed to be able to lift the bracket off the camera body slightly.  The catch is removing the ribbon cable and reinserting the ribbon cable of the replacement in the circuit board clamp.

The ribbon cable for the LCD screen and that for the control ribbon for the camera back can be removed by prying up gently with flat tweezers on the black clamp "handles" on the circuit board (getting the camera back out of the way helps a lot!.  With the replacement LCD screen put in the holder bracket and the ribbon cable carefully folded back into the orientation that the original had, the ribbon cable end can be inserted into the circuit board clamp (by moving the bracket slightly while guiding the ribbon cable into the clamp with flat tweezers) and the black lever pushed down with the wires in place.  I believe at this point, I carefully inserted the battery in the camera and turned the camera on by pressing the ON/OFF button at the top of the camera.  I was greeted with the prompt for setting date/time.  (could be risky to do with juice running thru circuit board and back off camera).  I turned the camera off, screwed LCD holding bracket down with 2 screws at top, inserted ribbon cable for back into circuit board clamp at upper right of LCD edge, carefully reattached back, put back 6 screws holding on back.

Biggest hassle (other than figuring out how circuit board clamps for ribbons worked) was dropping the LCD bracket screws into the camera body and then trying to retrieve them!  Eventually used screen protector film from replacement LCD screen to block spaces in camera back as I reinserted screws to holes!

I found several sites in Hong Kong and 1 in U.S. that would sell LCD screens cheaply.  Got one from Yallstore.com for $32 inc. $6 shipping.  Seems as good or better than original.

Jim Lewis

by Jim Lewis at 21 Apr 2010 20:03:22
Oops sorry Gabriel, I missed the original mail. I ordered the LCD directly from Casio's parts department in the UK on 020-8450-9131. I just rang them up and they sent me one in the post for around £80 (not cheap!). It would have been even more expensive if they were to replace it for me.
by David at 22 Oct 2007 20:23:34
Gabriel, I just called about a different Casio, but you can find the Parts department phone number on Casio website.  The US parts dept. number is 1-800-223-2001.  And by the way, the LCD screen for my camera is $125 (I still have to decide if it is worth it to repair or buy new).
by DocMoshe at 22 Oct 2007 18:37:55
where did you ordered the LCD from, I would greatly appreciate your help.
by Gabriel at 14 Oct 2007 22:03:45
I do not recommend you doing that, for the simple reason that the screws are all waxed. This is a process manufacturers apply to their products to ensure the internals are sealed and any sign of tampering with these wax points will void your warranty. In my case, even though my camera was only eight months old, Casio refused to honour the warranty, so I did not have anything to lose when I did this anyway.

I do not recall seeing any sign of bad assembly while in the process of taking the camera apart, so tend to think the problem is more to do with the LCD itself (I still have the broken one to compare against).
by David at 06 May 2006 15:52:47
Do you think that over tightening of certain screws or mild misalignment of the parts during the original assembly contributed to the onset of the lens and view screen problems you mention? Perhaps, as a careful consumer interested in taking good care of his camera, your re-assembly was a bit more careful than the original assembly line where they might be trying to produce as much product in as short a time as they could manage while permitting perhaps too high a percentage of failed assemblies due to stress on parts - some going out the door on the edge of failure, just waiting for a little push, or even just a few cycles through temperature swings before failure? Would you recommend, for those having just bought this camera, loosening, by just half a turn or so (certainly not removing) the six case screws and then reseating them gently? Iím thinking that if the case is not opened, the warranty, whether useful or not, would still be maintained.

by DavidKnows at 06 May 2006 15:40:16
Hi Patrick The camera, believe it or not, is now working a lot smoother than before. I think the new LCD is of a different make to the original, or maybe a second generation design. The lens now retracts silently, like those Canon L series ones. The rest of the camera is completely unaffected by this major organ transplant.
by David at 27 Apr 2006 09:29:26
Thats pretty cool I think I might try that myself. Is it still holding up?
by Patrick at 27 Apr 2006 01:14:03
Do it yourself repair for broken LCD on Casio Z750 back
Previous article: Casio Exilim Z750 'Lens error' ! view
Next article: The Casio Z750, a temperamental but enduring foot soldier view

Z750

I got the final words from the Casio service department, and as expected, they refused to repair the broken LCD screen for the camera under warranty. Their view is I must have thrown the camera against the wall or something to crack the LCD screen (picture 1). I guess it is nice to be able to pass down verdicts like that, specially when it is better for your bottom line. In my defence, the DPReview Forum or PriceGrabber Forum for this particular model must be full of sadists who like to punish their electronic equipments for fun.

Steve's Digicams Forum suggests that if my camera is in those batches that are made in China instead of in Japan, then it might explain the build quality. However, my camera has "Made in Japan" stamped in the bottom, so maybe this 'lens error' problem affects all batches, who knows ?!

I have two options, go out and buy a new camera, or have my Casio repaired. Why do I want to repair this camera so badly if it has such rubbish build quality ? Well, two reasons really, the first is protection of investment, and the second is the rest of the camera is excellent. However, I am not going to give those fascists at the Casio service department the satisfaction of forking out the money to have them repair it, so they can grin and claim vindication (I stress, I know how to use a camera, and I do not mistreat my camera).

So, having browsed the web a bit, I found that maybe it is not that big a deal to repair it myself. I know how to use a soldering iron, and I have taken things apart before. You might say 'yeah, but what about the warranty ? if you get inside the camera, the warranty will be void'. Well, from my recent communications with Casio, I am not even sure if they can even spell the word, let alone honouring it.

So, off I go, I called up the Casio Parts Department and placed an order for the LCD screen for the Exilim Z750 model. Easy enough, the lady there was nice and helpful. Postage was £2.50, although beware, she says there is a back order in the pipeline. I guess more LCD screens get hosed then they expected, eh ! Imagine, the cost of repairing the LCD screen is only £20 less than a brand new Z750 in the shop, so for most people it is cheaper to flog the broken one on EBay for spares and buy a brand new one instead.

For me, it is worth it because I only paid half that price for the part only. Also, the disclaimer at this point must be that it is not a good idea for anyone to try this themselves unless they have done a bit of hobby electronics before and are confident with their soldering iron.

With the LCD screen delivered, I set out to open up the Z750. There are a series of very small screws (6 in all, with the bottom two being a bit longer than the pairs on each side) all around the body of the camera, which all have to be removed (picture 2). I have taken the precaution of removing the battery at this point, just to avoid shorting out some delicate electronics in the rest of the procedure.

Next, I lifted out the back cover. The back cover is attached to the camera body by a small ribbon cable which is connected to the mode dial at the back of the case (picture 3). If you gently lift up the black retaining clip at the end of the ribbon, the whole back case will separate away from the body of the camera (picture 4).

The LCD screen is held into the camera body by two retaining screws at the top of the LCD (picture 5), a ribbon cable at the back of the LCD (picture 6), two orange and yellow wires on the top left of the LCD, and finally a black and red pair of wires from the bottom right of the LCD to the circuit board on the camera body itself, just underneath the location of the dial (picture 7). The orange, yellow, black and red wires will have to be detached from the camera body with a hot soldering iron. I quickly jotted down the colours of the wires and where they go to ensure they are correctly reconnected once the LCD is replaced.

Once the wires are detached, the whole LCD panel can be lifted off away from the camera and the new one is put in its place. All that needs to be done is the reverse process of the steps above in order to attach the LCD to the camera body. The final step is to put the back cover back on the camera and redo the screws. This should be all.

It took roughly 20 minutes on a Saturday morning, and my camera sprang back to life once the battery was replaced and switched on. I found it to function perfectly, and the new LCD screen works flawlessly. Well, touch wood.

From now on, this camera will be encased in a Kevlar jacket when it goes on the road. I hope the new LCD screen lasts longer than the old one (8 months).

One added bonus to this whole saga, which is the 'lens error' has completely disappeared since the LCD screen was replaced. Must have been some kind of bad interaction between the lens assembly and the LCD, is my reckoning.

back
Previous article: Casio Exilim Z750 'Lens error' ! view
Next article: The Casio Z750, a temperamental but enduring foot soldier view

(8 comments)
 by by David at 17 Mar 2006 22:59:41
Copyrights © Transcraft Trading Limited 2006.All rights reserved.